While the timely deadline to file for any 2019 exemptions is March 1, 2019, you can still late file up until September 18, 2019. This extended late filing period allows you to apply for or renew any valuable tax-saving exemptions including Homestead Exemption and the Low-Income Senior Exemption for the 2019 tax year. There are no late fees to late file for these exemptions so do not miss out on this important opportunity even if you miss the March 1 deadline.

Any person or entity that owns or possesses tangible personal property located in Florida, as of the January 1 tax assessment date, must file a DR-405 Tangible Personal Property Tax Return with the Property Appraiser in the county where the property is (or was) physically located on January 1. Tangible personal property includes equipment, fixtures, furniture, appliances, leasehold improvements, supplies, leased equipment and any other assets used by the business.

Florida allows for an exemption up to $25,000 in value for tangible personal property assets used by a business. You must file an initial Tangible Personal Property Tax Return to receive this exemption. If the value of your tangible personal property exceeds $25,000 as of January 1, you must file a DR-405 return with our office. If the value of your tangible personal property does not exceed $25,000 as of January 1, you do not need to file a return. Should your business acquire assets resulting in your tangible personal property value to exceed $25,000 on January 1, you must file a return with our office.

The filing deadline for 2019 TPP Returns is April 1, 2019. Business owners who previously filed will receive a DR-405 from our office. You can also download the DR-405 from our website at http://www.bcpa.net/Forms/DR-405a.pdf. Should you have any questions regarding the filing of a TPP Tax Return, please contact Travis Gehr at 954.357.6174 or by email at tgehr@bcpa.net.

If you believe your property, as of January 1, meets the criteria for the Agricultural Classification, you must file an initial application with our office by March 1. Land previously granted the Agricultural Classification will receive a green renewal card from our office. This card must be completed and returned to our office to maintain the classification for this tax year. Our office reviews all properties receiving the Agricultural Classification each year and will notify property owners in July of each year as to the status of their request.

Should you have any questions about the Agricultural Classification, please contact Rhonda Gilbert at rgilbert@bcpa.net or Mario Ponce at mponce@bcpa.net.

If my office can ever be of assistance to you, please visit our website at www.bcpa.net, call us at 954-357-6830 or email me directly at martykiar@bcpa.net

Take care,

Marty Kiar